Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tonight,
I had a chance to ask Master about the broadsword and how it's wielded. He said that right now, I just need to practice until I understand the feeling of the broadsword. Then, I asked him how the slash should work. Master said that the broadsword should not feel like it is there, just like how when we punch, our arms are supposed to be weightless. Finally, I asked Master about buying a broadsword. He said not to buy one until I have mastered the broadsword. Furthermore, he showed me one of his sheathed broadswords on the wall. Master said he custom ordered this broadsword from LongQuan (龍泉). For those who don't know, LongQuan is like a legendary foundry and many famous weapons are from that area. The neat part was that the broadsword had master's name on etched on it.

Holding that broadsword was quite interesting. While the broadsword was made for combat, it is far lighter than I expected one to be, especially compared with Rei's combat broadsword. Secondly, the handle is curved which allows a natural grip and explains why when practicing the form, most downward slashes have the wrist bent. The slight bent gives the broadsword 6 more inches of cutting space, which could be the difference between hitting something or nothing.

Anyways, Will finally showed up, and while me and him were joking about using the BaGua DaDao (八卦大刀)for training, Master got one out from under the table. The blade was slightly longer than the regular broadsword, but it weighed 10-15 pounds. It was ungodly to wield to say the least. xD

On the mountain,
Master said that my intention in the forms have noticeably improved, although some movements are still unclear.

We spent most of our time doing BaBuGou (八步勾). Will and I are going through each move fixing it. For us, it's mostly about the distance and intention right now. Master said that we finally have the intention to hit each other, and now the ShenFa (身法) is coming in and out.

Notes: I have to watch the initial move, my shoulders are not square. Secondly, on the blocks for the piercing palms, the feet are NOT in Empty Step (虛步), instead they are in a fluid step, that is momentarily like SiLiuBu (四六步).

Finally, Master had me learn the next part of the Broadsword form. The major points to look out for is my stepping is off. Additionally, Master just wants me to practice the potatoes out of the form, not to mention I need to practice the individual movements. Right now, I feel like I have an extra arm or something. The way swords swords are used hasn't really dawned on me yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment